Thursday, September 12, 2013

a secret to creamy hummus

Hummus is one of those snacks that I most enjoy when it's homemade, but my secret to creamy hummus adds a good 20 minutes to an easy five-minute recipe. I dislike doing it, but I peel the garbanzo beans. And peeling an entire can of them, with no interruptions, usually takes me 20 minutes.

Last year I taught my three- and four-year-old Cooking Thyme students how to peel garbanzo beans, so I am hopeful that in another year or so, I'll put another little person I know to work when it's hummus-making time.

What's your secret to creamy hummus?

4 comments:

Katie said...

Ha ha! This made me laugh and reminded me of how my mother used to make me rub a little mayonnaise on her plant leaves to make them shiny. She was so happy for my little hands to do this busy work. And I will never forgive her for it!

At least Mason will get to enjoy eating creamy hummus after all his hard work!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

I never thought about peeling them. I have peeled them though- when I make roasted chick peas as a snack. Do you do that? I'm sure I have a recipe on my blog somewhere... http://www.preppypinkcrocodile.com/2011/07/roasted-chick-peas.html I find the peels come off easily if you lay them on a towel.

But I will have to try this next time I make hummus. I never realized that would make it creamier. Great tip!

KK

Meg said...

I do that, too! I put them in a metal strainer and mush them around with my knuckles a little bit (or squeeze a handful of them) - the peels all separate pretty easily that way.

Lorelei said...

My only recipe for hummus instructed me to peel the chickpeas, so I've only ever made hummus that way. I didn't realize that not every recipe for hummus includes that, or at least until you posted this and my sister called to share the same tip with me on the same day. I'm glad everyone is enjoying creamy hummus now!