Tuesday, September 24, 2013

10th and 3rd

While at the National Book Festival on Saturday, I realized that this is my 10th consecutive year of attendance, and Mason's 3rd. How many two-year-olds can say that they've been to three National Book Festivals? I'd bet my savings account that he was the youngest person in attendance on Saturday who has been to all three festivals of his life, unless there's a child who was born between September 18-23, 2011 (after Mason was born but before the book festival began in 2011) who can boast the same attendance.

I love fun facts like that.


And I love that Mason has attended this event every year of his life thus far.


Unlike last year, my boy was unafraid of the characters and marched right up to them to say hello.



Brad, Mason, and I spent the morning visiting characters and playing games in the PBS KIDS tent, and then the boys went home to nap and watch football while I relived book festival life pre-Mason and bounced among the pavilions, soaking up authors' stories, comments, and wisdom for the rest of the day. It's been three years since I've spent all day at this event, and boy was I wiped out on Saturday night. But it was a good kind of tired. Waiting around all afternoon to hear Veronica Roth at 4 PM was worth it, although her presentation was probably the most crowded I've ever seen--the pouring down rain failed to deter her fans. Roth just turned 25 years old, but I'd swear she's going on 40. As expected, she was tight-lipped about what's to come in the third and final installment of her Divergent series, but I did learn that the point of view of this novel switches back and forth between the two main characters. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Did you attend the National Book Festival? What were your highlights?

No comments: