Tuesday, August 13, 2013

goats!

I'm a sucker for any type of interesting outing, especially if it's free. I am not one of those stay-at-home moms who enjoys or excels in doing craft projects with my child, but my boy and I--we go places! I am a stay-at-home mom who is rarely home.

Luckily for us, this outing didn't require us to travel too far. We arrived home from vacation just in time to catch the last day of the Eco-Goats grazing at Congressional Cemetery.


I had never heard of this environmental approach before, but I love it! More than 50 goats grazed the perimeter of the cemetery 24 hours a day for six days, eliminating invasive species while fertilizing the ground. These goats eat anything--vines, poison ivy, ground cover, debris--and their presence supposedly eliminates the need for harmful herbicides.


There were big goats, small goats, and even goats that climb trees! We also learned that goats are generally friendly animals with unique personalities. The goat herder said that spending time with a herd of goats was like spending time in a high school--the goats have cliques and tiffs, just like people do!

Mason loved visiting the goats. And I loved my first visit to Congressional Cemetery.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

We read about those in the Post. That's neat that you and Mason got to see them!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

This is so funny- I just read about this on Landlocked Mermaid's blog. I used to walk my Sadie there all the time. We actually had a membership. I don't think they have the program anymore but back years ago, the cemetery was nearly forgotten. Hill peeps with dogs would use it though. So they created a program where you donate like $100 and they keep a record of the dogs walking there, make sure everyone is up to date at the vet, etc. It was totally a social scene. Everyone I tell this story to thinks I am off my rocker though. Oh and is the totem poll still there? Yet another odd addition to my weekend ritual...

KK