Friday, August 23, 2013

epic freezer cooking day

I wish I had taken a picture of what went down in my kitchen this past Tuesday.

A couple weeks ago, my friend Sunshine suggested we get together for a freezer cooking day. We consulted the August traditional menu from Once a Month Meals and here's what happened:

  • We each selected three dinner recipes and were responsible for buying double the ingredients for each recipe (so we would each end up with six dinners).
  • We met at my house and cooked pretty much for five hours straight.
  • Keep in mind that we had four small children underfoot: a three-year-old, a nearly two-year-old, and eight-month-old twins!
  • The kids were, amazingly, troopers. The twins took two naps at my house and Mason got his nap in. 
  • Some of the recipes made such large portions that we each got more than one meal out of it. 
  • When all was said and done, we each ended up with about nine entrees. Most of mine went into my freezer and I can't wait to pull them out during busy weeks! Granted, I still have to throw together sides and/or a salad, but still--the entree is assembled and ready. Hallelujah!
Yes, my first freezer cooking day was chaotic, but what an enjoyable way to pass a day with a friend. Had I taken on this endeavor by myself, it really would have felt like work, but it honestly didn't feel that way with good company. Once my family eats these meals, I'm ready for another round!

Have you ever had an epic freezer cooking day? What did you think? Do you do it regularly? 

4 comments:

Mrs. said...

Oh, I did an epic freezer cooking day in March with a friend. We didn't have any kids underfoot, but it was still 5-6 hours of cooking! It was a great help, but just not something I wanted to regularly do. Now I just try to double some meal portions to freeze -- much less of a time commitment for me.

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

This sounds awesome! Doing it with a friend makes it sound appealing rather than grueling. BTW, I am so so grateful to have actually gotten to talk with and get to know Sunshine and her fam. recently!!

SusanL said...

I'm so glad you did that!!!!
I'm also glad it went so well!

Allison said...

That's a great idea to do a cooking day with a friend! I often do a big batch of stew to have on hand for quick meals but love this idea of going in with a friend,