A couple weeks ago, my friend Sunshine suggested we get together for a freezer cooking day. We consulted the August traditional menu from Once a Month Meals and here's what happened:
- We each selected three dinner recipes and were responsible for buying double the ingredients for each recipe (so we would each end up with six dinners).
- We met at my house and cooked pretty much for five hours straight.
- Keep in mind that we had four small children underfoot: a three-year-old, a nearly two-year-old, and eight-month-old twins!
- The kids were, amazingly, troopers. The twins took two naps at my house and Mason got his nap in.
- Some of the recipes made such large portions that we each got more than one meal out of it.
- When all was said and done, we each ended up with about nine entrees. Most of mine went into my freezer and I can't wait to pull them out during busy weeks! Granted, I still have to throw together sides and/or a salad, but still--the entree is assembled and ready. Hallelujah!
Yes, my first freezer cooking day was chaotic, but what an enjoyable way to pass a day with a friend. Had I taken on this endeavor by myself, it really would have felt like work, but it honestly didn't feel that way with good company. Once my family eats these meals, I'm ready for another round!
Have you ever had an epic freezer cooking day? What did you think? Do you do it regularly?