Tuesday, June 11, 2013

vertical gardens: the challenges

Gentle Readers, here is a picture of my dream


but here is what my reality looks like.


Darn you, Pinterest, for making rain gutter gardening look so easy!

I have planted loads of seeds in these gutters, way more than I ever expected. But the birds and squirrels have eaten some and spread much of the seeds all over my yard, which is why there are so many bare patches in the troughs. The real challenge, though, is that I can't keep these gutters wet enough. They dry out in a hot minute, even during a cool spring season, which does not bode well for the coming months. Even if I remembered to do it, there's no way that I have time to water them twice a day.

Has anyone ever had a project turn out as well as it looks on Pinterest?

3 comments:

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

Oh no! I'm thinking you need some sort of soaker hose arrangement, but gravity would be working against you... :(

Robin (noteverstill/noteversewing) said...

It might be too late for this year but I just read about cutting up some kitchen sponges and laying them flat in the bottom of your container garden. When you do water, the sponges will absorb a ton, and slowly release it. Maybe next year? :)

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Squirrels are my worst enemy (yes- I see the irony) in the garden! As far as seeds- perhaps placing a bit of chicken wire (or similar) on top might help? You can buy a small roll inexpensively at Home Depot in the garden department.

For watering- you might try what I call my poor man's drip irrigation. At my garden, we can't add drip hoses. So I've taken soda bottles and the like and poked holes in the bottom. Then buried them 3/4 down into the dirt. When I water, I also fill up those bottles. They release the water more slowly and deeper near the roots. I will do a post on it later this week or early next...depending on if we ever see sunshine this week! But some of those short water bottles might work.

Also, my favorite gardening blogger uses gutters in her greenhouse with a ton of success. She even has rows and rows of strawberries growing. You might see her posts to look for tips. www.onehundreddollarsamonth.com

KK