Monday, June 17, 2013

child labor

One positive aspect of having a busy bee child is that I can put Mason to work, and he loves it! He's too young to understand the difference between work and play--he just enjoys all activity and is eager to be right in the middle of it--and therefore responds cheerfully to nearly every request for help. I am taking advantage of his servant heart while I can!

To see what all he can do--at 21 months, mind you--amazes me! The broom, Swiffer, and feather duster cannot come out of storage without Mason insisting on cleaning the floors or dusting the furniture himself. If he spills a few drops of his milk, I hand him the rag and he wipes it up. Without being asked, he carries the empty reusable bags to the front door and lays them there (to be placed back in the car) as I unload the groceries--he knows that's his job. In the garden, I taught him how to pick peas and pull weeds. As I scoop buckets of water from his swimming pool to water the garden, he mimics me, filling up his little watering can and making trip after trip to water my herbs.

I emptied out the fridge the other day to clean it and Mason was underfoot, so I gave him a rag and asked him to wipe down the bottom shelves. I sprayed the (vinegar/water) cleaner and he scrubbed. Of course, I went over his sections with my own rag, but he did a decent job. (And on another note, isn't a freshly cleaned fridge just divine?)

What chores do your children enjoy? At what age do they stop wanting to help? Any tips on keeping this momentum going?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

A child that is expected to help at an early age is less likely to feel put upon when asked to chores at an older age. They have grown up with the expectation that they have to pitch in.

Amy Hill said...

My girls love to clean the mirrors and windows and the glass on the coffee table. Paper towels and windex and they keep busy for quite a while!