Saturday, June 1, 2013

11 trumps 7

For the past few years, I've been on a roll with cutesy titles for my wedding anniversary post: eight is great; nine is divine; ten's a win. And now I'm stumped with 11. Of course, the first phrase that pops into most people's minds is "11 is Heaven", but can anything really compare to Heaven? Not that I know personally--Lord willing, I will one day--but I don't want to make that comparison.

So I settled on "11 trumps 7" because literally, it does. Praise God for 11 years of marriage today. On Brad's and my seventh anniversary, we were recovering from running 26.2 miles the day before, a blessing in and of itself that we made it! Today, we are taking a more restful approach by enjoying the morning alone while Mason plays at a friend's house, and tonight we're celebrating at one of our favorite DC restaurants.

This anniversary finds us at a different, but better, place in our marriage than four years ago. We've soldiered through disappointments, losses, and heartaches that we never expected, but thankfully, the Lord has used these trials to grow us in faith and to strengthen our marriage. Yes, we still argue. Yes, we still let each other down. Yes, we each remain selfish. No marriage is or will ever be perfect. But by God's grace, we're better together today than we were four years ago. Eleven indeed trumps seven.

(If you're interested, here's the story behind the picture.)

1 comment:

Allison said...

Happy anniversary! What a fantastic picture.