Friday, April 19, 2013

winter wonderland

While those in DC last weekend experienced idyllic spring temperatures and the last of the noteworthy cherry blossoms, Brad, Mason, and I ventured into a winter wonderland. I will admit that before we arrived in Vail for my brother's wedding, I was fighting feelings of bitterness at having to leave a much anticipated beautiful weekend in DC with my favorite blossoms at their peak for cold and snow.

Except for Mason's recurrent vomiting (which happened AGAIN Wednesday night/Thursday morning, in his crib of all places, yuck), we really had a great weekend. I hadn't been to Colorado since my unfortunate experience on the slopes, and I am happy to say that Vail did NOT get the best of me this time! (I stayed off of skis and snowboards--that's probably why.) Brad and I snuck away for a couple of hours while the grandparents entertained Mason and we took the gondola to the top of the mountain and enjoyed fabulous food and views. It's much more fun to watch skiers than it is to ski myself. We had a treacherous drive through bad weather in the mountains on Thursday night, which was made worse by Mason's getting sick in the car, and another snowstorm hit late Saturday night, but Mason's delight at seeing abundant, real snow for the first time was priceless.

All of the wedding festivities went swimmingly and my brother married a lovely woman who is a perfect match for him. Mason was cute in his wedding attire of a navy blazer and khakis and was a real trooper, considering he was fighting a stomach bug. Vail is like a little Christmas town, nestled among the mountains and constantly covered in a fresh, thick, blanket of white. We loved it. And I didn't miss those fickle, late-blooming blossoms much at all.

No comments: