Friday, March 1, 2013

spring planting

Happy March (and the beginning of spring planting season)!

I'm trying two new plants this year: blueberries, for my boy who loves them so much he may just turn into one, and asparagus, because it's my favorite green vegetable.


Starting today, I am busy clearing out the flowers and plants that finally died in January, pruning rose bushes, and planting cold weather crops: mesclun greens, arugula, romain lettuce, spinach, and sugar snap peas. In April, I'll plant everything else.


I experience many more gardening failures than successes each year, but I love how my hope springs eternal each March. Squirrels, insects, and drought could not be further from my mind right now.

What are you excited to grow this year? Are you trying anything new?


3 comments:

Katie said...

I'm getting excited too! I've gotten another year with the community garden. Last year I had some troubles, so I'm hoping for success with eggplant, peppers and tomatoes and whatever else strikes my fancy come planting time!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

I'm finally getting a community garden plot this year so I am allll about starting lots of seeds! I ordered all sorts of crazy stuff for fun from Baker Creek Seeds. Like ground cherries and soy beans and parsnips. I'm just hoping that at least a few of my things grow!

Just an fyi, are you aware that both blueberries and asparagus will take a few seasons to harvest? I've read about three for blueberries and two for asparagus. But they will last like 10 years after that. You probably already knew that but on the off chance you didn't, I didn't want you to think you failed. They just take time to establish and bear fruit.

KK

Heather N. said...

We're trying two raised beds this year. We've never planted vegetables - only a few herbs so we're super excited! I keep telling Dan though that I cannot WAIT to get my flowers going. They make me so happy! I have a few big pots that I fill to overflowing! Plus I'm going to do sunflowers and zinias again from seed. So fun to watch grow!