Monday, February 11, 2013

no day off and glad

Today is my birthday, and it's the first one in more than a decade that I don't have the day "off". While working at UMD, I was always able to arrange my schedule so that I could take my birthday off work. The one year that my birthday fell on my teaching day, which would have required me to work, snowpocalypse happened.

(But wait, don't stay-at-home moms have every day off? If you genuinely think that, you've obviously never been a stay-at-home parent!)

No, today will be much like any other. Mason will awake, like clockwork, between 6:30 and 7 AM. He will pester me for breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, and dinner. I'll change at least two or three dirty diapers and plenty of wet ones. He will bring me books to read and will beg to stand outside on our steps or at our front window and look for doggies. I will reprimand and discipline, kiss and hug. I will take big bites of the pretend meals Mason makes me and act as though they're the best thing I've ever tasted. We will listen to his Baby Einstein music on my computer and waltz around the living room as he lays his head on my shoulder and sucks his thumb. We will eagerly await Brad's homecoming, watching carefully for his car to pull up so that we can greet him at the door with hugs and kisses. Mason and I are taking a field trip to the National Zoo this morning to celebrate the birthday of one of his friends, and that will be fun for all of us.

My arguably mundane activities on this birthday are not at all about me, and yet, at the same time, they're completely about me. I am, after all, living my dream. I spend my days now exactly as I want to--caring for the two great loves of my life, Brad and Mason. I could not be happier to have this "job" that doesn't give birthdays off.






6 comments:

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

RDF said...

happy birthday dear friend!

Jennifer said...

Wonderful! Happy birthday!

Amy Hill said...

Enjoy it! Happy Birthday!

Becky Gardner said...

Just found your blog, and I am loving it! I live in Herndon, and there is so much great info. I really like this post! It's amazing how special days are just so much more special with our little ones....and stressful. But, I'm with you, wouldn't trade it for anything! :) Look forward to reading more!

Allison said...

Happy belated birthday! I always took my birthday off when I was working too...the SAHM working birthday is certainly different but better than a day in the office. And I left UMD to stay home too, though I was on the admin side of things. :)