Wednesday, February 27, 2013

meal wars: meat trick

Meal wars will now be a sporadic series on this blog. I have a feeling that I'll be fighting this war for years to come, with certainly much more to say about the topic. Today, I offer a tip.

Mason's not a meat lover. Yes, he will gobble up any meat that's fried or breaded, but I rarely serve it that way. He's eaten Chick-fil-A chicken nuggets a couple of times, but I don't buy them at the grocery store for meals at home. He loves bread and cheese, so I can smuggle in meat on a sandwich or pizza or in a quesadilla or pasta, but give the boy a grilled chicken breast, pork chop, or steak, and he will spit it right out (if a piece even makes it into his mouth in the first place). My 17-month-old has 18 teeth and can chew the meat just fine, but dryer, tougher textures, no matter how well seasoned, seem to frighten him. 

Mason does better with meat cooked in a crock pot, probably because it's more tender, but (unfortunately) not every meal can be made in the crock pot. Imagine my delight when I discovered this secret weapon:


One night, we ate Rachael Ray's Southwestern Chicken and Black Bean Burritos and I noticed that Mason wolfed down the filling--basically grilled chicken, black beans, and BBQ sauce--without picking out the chicken (like he usually does). The next night, I rubbed a little BBQ sauce on his grilled pork chop, and he ate all of it and asked for more. BBQ sauce is now my secret weapon!

Do any of your meal wars involve meat battles? What's your secret weapon?


2 comments:

rainsthoughts said...

Cadet turns all meat into what we call "meat gum". He just chews and chews, but doesn't want to swallow. Not sure if it's a texture issue or what...but maybe I'll try your trick!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

When I was a nanny eons ago, I could get the little boy to eat anything, even asparagus, if I gave him a little side dish with breadcrumbs in it. I just let him dip whatever in the breadcrumbs and he would gobble it up. If he likes breading, you might try that trick.

KK