Tuesday, January 22, 2013

unfinished books

Sadly, I didn't finish Anna Karenina in 2012, as I had resolved to. I didn't even try. In 2010, my last full calendar year without a child at home, I finished 60 books. In 2012, my first full calendar year caring daily for Mason, I finished eight books. Welcome to motherhood.

Yes, I can meet my reading goals and write a dissertation, finish a PhD program, work full-time, be married, run marathons and other races, travel, and spend time with friends and family among many other commitments. But one small child underfoot can disrupt everything--in all the best ways, of course!

As far as I can remember, my list of unfinished books equals two:



I vow to finish both books one day--perhaps that will be a future New Year's resolution--but not this year. Savoring my boy's little years takes precedence over a book that will inevitably be a struggle to finish.

Do you have any unfinished books that haunt you? Think you'll ever finish them?

3 comments:

Susannah said...

One Hundred Years of Solitude was my hurdle. I tried to read it during grad school and finally gave in another whirl in 2012. It wasn't quite as hard to get through this time around, but still...ugh.

Robin (noteverstill/noteversewing) said...

I just tried Kingsolver's Lacuna. I loved her pre-kids but now it appears she requires too much concentration :)

Thrift Store Mama said...

The Poisonwood Bible was awful.

I haven't been reading books at all for the past couple years. Now that Beezus is reading (and Ramona will be soon) I really need to make a point of checking books out of the library so that we can all read together.