Wednesday, January 30, 2013

for the romantics

If, like me, you're a sucker for a good romance novel and a happy ending, I have a recommendation for you: Edenbrooke by debut novelist Julianne Donaldson. When I read this review back in August, I knew that this book sounded like one I would enjoy. And I did . . . enough to reread much of it immediately after finishing the book the first time--a sure sign of a worthy read.

This book reminds me a little of Jane Austen's works. Edenbrooke is set in a similar time period and involves a likable, snappy heroine, but the author's writing is less formal than Austin's, so the story is easier to read quickly. (The book is only 264 pages, so that helps for speed reading, too.) Although I enjoyed them, the last two books I have read were such downers and deeply disturbing on multiple levels that a clean, chaste romance with a happy ending was just what I needed to rekindle my joy of reading.

What are you reading these days?

4 comments:

Susannah said...

Oohhh, I'll have to add it to my Shelfari "to be read" list. Thanks for the recommendation!

Katie said...

Nice! Thanks for the recommendation. I'm getting to I am afraid to read some books for fear they will be too depressing or dark.

Lorelei said...

I just finished the Little House series and now just starting "Tried By War: Abraham Lincoln as Commander-in-Chief". But like you, I'd enjoy reading a lighthearted romance now as well. So many hard times on the prairie and now, a long, drawn out civil war. :( Maybe I will check out Edenbrooke.

Susannah said...

I gobbled Edenbrooke up in 1 1/2 days. Romantic and endearing - thanks for the recommendation!