Thursday, January 24, 2013

building a vertical garden

A year ago, when I finally joined Pinterest, one idea stood out to me immediately: a rain gutter garden.

Brilliant, I thought! Especially for city gardeners like me with limited horizontal space. Why spread out when I can garden up?

My handy-dandy parents visited for Christmas, and I put my dad (with assistance from Brad) to work building me a vertical garden--just in time to plant lettuce and other cold-weather crops next month!

This project was easy and Dad claimed that Brad and I could have built it ourselves. At Home Depot, we bought rain gutters, snips (to cut the gutter the appropriate length), end caps for the gutters, three 2x4 boards (not completely necessary, but our fence is a little rickety, so Dad wanted reinforcement for the gutters), and all-weather screws. We used our drill and other tools we already had at home.

And, wala!


It doesn't look like much now, but I will post again when I start planting, and then a third time once the seeds start growing. Gardening season is right around the corner! Who's excited?

4 comments:

Robin (noteverstill/noteversewing) said...

Ooh, I can't wait to follow your garden's progress! I've been thinking about a vertical garden, too. We have a horizontal garden but it's too popular with squirrels and rabbits. I wonder if going up the fence would keep the creatures away?

Amy Hill said...

Great idea!

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! I've been smitten by vertical gardens on Pinterest as well. I keep telling my landscaper that I've love to enjoy the fruits (and veggies!) of a garden. But, he's not biting because he knows he'd be in for all the maintenance! (HAHA, of course I'm talking about Abel!)

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

I love vertical gardens! Last year I grew small squash and small melons (Minnesota Midget) vertically against an extra piece of lattice. Sadly, the darn squirrels ate most of my harvest but I am going to try again this year and figure out a way to deter the squirrel population.

KK