Thursday, November 8, 2012

life and learning at home

Home Office: Managing the House
Has it really been 12 weeks since I've been unemployed? My blank slate lasted about two days. I now have regular commitments four of five days a week. The weeks roll by even faster than they did when I was in the office full time, if that's even possible.

People keep asking me if I miss working outside the home. I don't. Not even a smidgeon. It baffles me how something that I poured my life into for 12 years, something that I really enjoyed, suddenly ended and yet I don't miss it at all. I kiss Mason's head and praise God each day for providing me a new love and the opportunity to focus on my little family for this time, however long it lasts.

Each season of life brings new lessons. Here's what I'm learning as a stay-at-home-mom:
1. A shower, make up, and wearing something besides yoga pants makes me feel purposeful and productive, even if I haven't been either of those things.
2. Getting up at 5:30 AM, like I used to, is still a good idea most days.
3. Children's moods are real, and are a force to be reckoned with.
4. Play dates, or any commitment or appointment involving children, have about a 50% chance of happening. (See #3.)
5. Spontaneous play dates are welcome surprises!
6. When in doubt, go outside.
7. There will be days when nothing gets done and the schedule is shot. Life will go on. Go to bed and try again tomorrow.
8. Regular, at-home date nights, with the computer/TV off and the phones put away, are a necessity for a marriage in a busy season. Schedule them if you must. (We do!)
9. Young children are demanding, intense, and irrational. Their emotions are raw and unchecked. But the many ways they show their love make every exhausting minute and unglamorous task worth it.
10. Staying at home with Mason is the most demanding job I've ever had, but it's by far my most joyful.  By all means, there are challenges as a SAHM, but they are happy ones.

What lessons are you learning in your current season of life?






5 comments:

Amy Hill said...

Sounds wonderful! I'm so happy for you. I recognize your To Do notebook!

rainsthoughts said...

Yes! These are great lessons! Here are a few others that I've learned as a SAHM:

1) Complete one cycle of laundry a day, otherwise it will pile up.

2) Make the bed. You won't regret it.

3) Life is so much better if your husband does the dishes!

4) Stop apologizing for the state of the house. Other mothers get it...you don't need to explain!

5) Never make a "to do" list longer than 5 items, it simply won't get done.

Lisa said...

Sometimes I think, "I want to ." But then I remind myself that I CAN do those things, but maybe not right now. I love that you used the word "season," because that's the word that I keep using in my mind.

Lisa said...

And it's often about the little things...like what kind of decorations I can use for the holidays that won't get destroyed or eaten.

Thrift Store Mama said...

It's crazy to me how little free time I have even though I only work part-time. Glad you are adjusting easily - it's such a big change.