Friday, October 5, 2012

the relationship and its jobs

A few weeks ago, soon after my official last day at work, several friends posted links to this parenting article on facebook. Maybe it was the timing, but this piece really resonated and it's been weighing on my mind since then.

I love, love, love how Moxie distinguished the relationship of parenthood from its associated jobs, and then posed the million dollar question: "Do you want the relationship enough to suffer through the jobs?"

Her reasoning, which I found right on target, makes it even clearer why there is no universal answer to the often heartwrenching dilemma of whether or not to stay home with your child. The answer is different for every person and family, and one may not know what's best until long after the baby arrives.

I just wish that more parents felt like they truly had a choice in the matter.

No comments: