Friday, October 19, 2012

mammogram

Years ago, I remember reading in my medical insurance booklet that one mammogram would be covered between the ages of 35-40 and thinking that I should take advantage of this benefit to get baseline images of my breasts, should I experience any problems in the future. At that time, a college friend had been diagnosed, at age 34, with breast cancer. But I've been so distracted the past few years with infertility, pregnancy losses, pregnancy, and, praise God, parenthood, that it completely slipped my mind until recently. Suddenly, age 40 seems right around the corner--well, 16 months from now anyway!

Now that I am not pregnant or breastfeeding, the timing for such an exam proved perfect. I went to Capital Breast Care Center, with a convenient location on Capitol Hill, last week, and the staff were friendly and professional. I highly recommend this center. The procedure was uncomfortable, but not painful, and it took not even an hour of my time. Thinking about and staying on top of my long-term health and wellness suddenly seems much more important now that I have a little one.

Have you had a mammogram? At what age did you get your first one? What was your experience?

Disclosure: No one associated with Capital Breast Care Center has any idea that I wrote this post--all opinions are my own. Happy National Breast Cancer Awareness Month!


3 comments:

Lisa said...

I had screening mammograms in October when I was 42, 44 and 46. They were done in a bus that came to my office and they all came back clear. They were free and convenient and not all that painful. In April the next year, six months after the last screening, I found a lump that turned out to be six tumors of highly aggressive breast cancer. Because my doctors had the previous films to compare it to, they were able to understand the situation better and treat me appropriately. Baseline mammograms are vitally important. I'm glad you got one.

Jen V said...

I had a baseline done this summer too. I went to the Washington Radiology Associates office on K St. I was in and out in less than an hour. The most uncomfortable part was having a total stranger position my body on a machine; otherwise, it wasn't painful. My results were normal, and I look forward to not having to do that again for a few years.

Jennifer said...

I had my first recently at Washington Radiology in Sterling. I told the technician that I'd rather have a mammogram than visit the dentist anyday! I had put off going, and it was definitely not as bad as I'd anticipated.