Monday, October 1, 2012

apple picking

Family outings have taken on new meaning with a little one. Brad and I call these "mandatory fun days". These excursions are much more enjoyable for us than for Mason right now, especially if the day's destination involves a lengthy car ride, but maybe one day, he'll feel differently.

Local readers, have you discovered Larriland Farm? What a gem! We went to pick apples, but they also currently have spinach, beets, swiss chard, tomatoes, and pumpkins. Huge fields! Stunning views! And only an hour's drive from DC.

Reliving my childhood, I climbed a tree. Brad handed Mason up to me so that he could pick his first apple.

Yes, here we are, up in a tree, balancing on a limb to pick the perfect apple.
We all sampled the goods. Scrumptious!


This Maryland farm is top notch--not at all cheesy or chintzy--offering a huge variety of fruits, vegetables, and flowers to pick for what I thought were reasonable prices. And isn't there something so romantic about picking your own produce? (I am a farmer's daughter. I spent years "picking my own". And there was nothing romantic about it. But time and distance have made my memory rosy.)


I look forward to making other trips to Larriland Farm during strawberry, raspberry, and peach seasons next year. What is your favorite fruit or vegetable to harvest yourself?

3 comments:

Susannah said...

We went apple picking this weekend too! Such fun. My sister lives about 5 minutes away from Larriland Farms...beautiful area.

Red Stethoscope said...

Larriland Farms is my favorite too! Yesterday around 4 p.m., The Lawyer wanted to go apple picking, but I knew it would be too late by the time we got there. Next weekend for sure!

Red Stethoscope said...

Larriland Farms is my favorite too! Yesterday around 4 p.m., The Lawyer wanted to go apple picking, but I knew it would be too late by the time we got there. Next weekend for sure!