Wednesday, September 26, 2012

poor man's pesto

After sowing three packages of seeds and nary a plant in sight, I purchased a handful of basil seedlings, which thankfully, have produced a record crop this year.


I am busy making loads of basil pesto. I love having a another reason to use the ice cube trays I bought to freeze Mason's baby food.


I opted for walnuts instead of pine nuts in this year's batch. Pine nuts, although I love them, are ridiculously expensive. The pesto made with walnuts, which I'm calling poor man's pesto, tastes exactly the same to me. I'll save splurges of Brad's hard-earned bacon on pine nuts for recipes where it really matters.

What food substitutions do you make to save money?

4 comments:

Kelli Elisabeth said...

I had no idea you could substitute walnuts for pine nuts in pesto- thanks for the tip! Also, I'm so glad to know I wasn't the only one who planted Basil seeds to no avail. Keep us posted on how you use up your pesto!

Paige Crosland Anderson said...

Hey there! I just stumbled upon your cute blog. Funny how the blogosphere works, huh? hope to see you at the park tomorrow!

Amy Hill said...

I substitute pistachios in my pesto. Since pistachios are my favorite, I always have them in the house. They make great pesto, too!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

I've also subbed in almonds and it tasted great. And I cut out half the oil and use some water.

KK