Monday, August 6, 2012

extraordinary encounter

Greetings from Duck, NC!

The neatest thing happened to me this morning. Brad, Mason, and I were leaving Duck Donuts, our--well, Brad's and my--bellies full from the delectable morsels we wolfed down in a hot minute, when a woman stopped me.

"Excuse me, do you write a blog?" she asked.

"Yes," I said, totally confused.

"And you live in DC?"

"Why, yes!" I stammered, my tongue tied with shock. "Dr. Blondie!"

This wonderful woman, Christy, who I've never met, reads my blog. And she spotted me frolicking with my family around Duck this morning. And she was kind enough to make me feel like a mini-celebrity for about five seconds, well, okay, all day. I'm still smiling!

I'm afraid I didn't handle this encounter very well. Caught off guard, I was a beaming, babbling, blubbering fool. After we exchanged pleasantries and said our goodbyes, I ran back to verify which way she spells her name, because you know, those details matter to me. As we drove away, I regretted not thinking to get a picture with her. Brad said that I had bothered the poor dear enough, and drove on.

What's the best part of this story? Christy recognized my loving, but Dr. Blondie-blog-avoiding husband first. Maybe this encounter will finally convince Brad to begin reading this blog! He's sort of famous now, I guess.

Thank you, Christy, for making my day. Congratulations on earning your Ph.D. last year, and have a wonderful vacation this week!

6 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

How fun! Have a great vaca in NC!

KK

Amy- Taylors East said...

How fun!

Susannah said...

That's SOOOO fun! Soon you'll have to use private exits out of restaurants to avoid the masses of fans :) And I LOVE Brad's reaction....the poor dear. Ha!

Lisa said...

Okay, well you have me reconsidering one of my blogging rules. I follow a few Atlanta locals. Since one of them works a few miles from where I do, and on a campus that I frequently visit for medical appointments, I have seen her a few times. I decided not to approach her because I didn't want her to feel stalked. Maybe I should reconsider.

kerryandtorey said...

that is great! And, I love Duck Donuts. Hope you all are having a nice week.

3 Peanuts said...

So fun! We get recognized out and about of vacation too and often they recognize my husband first too.

I am also a blonde with a Ph.D.:)