Thursday, July 19, 2012

squash and zucchini debacle

I took a pass on tomatoes and peppers this year and tried squash and zucchini instead, hoping for a more bountiful harvest, but no such luck. I planted the squash and zucchini seeds, and the plants seemed to thrive.


I had about six pots of plants, and every plant was loaded with blooms. I mean, TONS of them. And then, nothing happened, and the plants eventually withered and died. All of them.


I have no idea what went wrong. Too little water? Too much? Not enough sun? Should I not have planted them in pots? I thought squash and zucchini were supposed to be easy!

Any thoughts on how I should go about planting and caring for squash and zucchini differently next time?


3 comments:

Amy- Taylors East said...

That's weird. I would blame the pots. The year we did them, they took up a lot of room in our garden- stretching beyond the barriers we had set up.

Katie said...

They are so prone to bugs, mold, infection. I'm growing something that I think will be squash (it was a mystery plant) and cucumbers and pumpkins for the first time this year. They are growing well so far but I did find some mold on some leaves and cut them off. I won't be surprised if they don't pay off at all. I'll let you know. I wish I had maybe staked them so they grew up and not out.

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

My best guess is that they didn't like the pots. But I have had mixed luck with them in the last few years in the ground too. I can get my plants to be huge and FULL of fruits and then in like two days then turn into the photo you just posted. With no known (to me) reason.

KK