Friday, May 18, 2012

wrapping up

Today is my last scheduled day in the office, for my students' citation ceremony. I will don my academic regalia for the eighth time since earning my PhD, bringing down the price-per-wear to $125. I'm glad to wear my regalia one more time. That silk robe and pincushion hat cost more than my wedding dress!

Even though I gave notice more than two months ago, my position just posted on Wednesday. Job searches in higher education are as slow and boring as watching paint dry, but now my departure is really happening! I'll still be gainfully employed for a while, but will work 100% from home, until I have to go into the office to train my successor, which I anticipate won't be until late July or August. Without classes, meetings, students, and the like, summers tend to be slow, so getting my work done at home, on my own schedule, shouldn't be too much of a burden. The upside is still earning my paycheck and benefits while getting much more Mason time. It's a win-win situation! And, I hope that this setup will help to ease my transition--that everyone keeps telling me may be difficult--into stay-at-home mommyhood.

Strangely, I don't feel sad at leaving my first baby, the undergraduate honors program I've worked with for nearly 12 years. I've had a long, fruitful run there. I gave it my all. But now I'm ready to move on. Yes, come late August, when the school year begins, I do expect to feel a void. The emails will cease and my responsibility will be over. Thursdays won't be class days any longer. No one will call me Dr., unless I can teach Mason to say Dr. Mommy. Huh. That's something to consider.

Since earning my PhD, I've considered leaving my current job a couple of times. But I could never bring myself to do it because I always felt as though I would be giving up too much, that the offer on the table wasn't quite good enough in terms of salary, benefits, schedule, or responsibilities. But now, I am leaving my perfectly good gig to spend my days working for no salary and benefits, no paid vacation, and no time off at all. I'll be working around the clock for a demanding little dude, who can sometimes be a real grouch.

I couldn't be happier! My, how love changes your priorities.






6 comments:

Caitlin said...

Good luck today! I'll be thinking of you guys. And congratulations on starting to wrap things up. I think you are going to love staying home. I know it was the best choice I ever made!

Katie said...

I'm so happy for you! And happy for your awesome tenure and degree from UMCP!!! Go Terps!

Amy Hill said...

Congrats!! And congrats to all those seniors. Enjoy working from home and making the transition. It's a new adventure!

SusanL said...

I'm so incredibly happy for you all!!

Diane Mannina said...

Such a sweet perspective on things. Congrats!

momto8blog said...

congrats on everything!! and good luck too!!
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
I worked up until my 6th child was born...then it was too many phone calls from home to work....I can see how my kids got the benefit of my education...