Thursday, May 24, 2012

sippy struggles

I started giving Mason water in a sippy cup around the time we introduced solids, at six months. And now, at eight months, he still doesn't quite get it. We have two different kinds of sippy cups, pictured below. Leaving the filter in the Tommy Tippee (left) frustrates him because he can't get water out, but removing the filter results in a waterfall down his front. The sippy cup on the right in the picture below is advertised for babies four months and older. Four months! And my eight-month-old can't figure it out! The mouthpiece is soft and similar to a bottle nipple. Mason takes bottles just fine, but he bites the nipple on this sippy cup and refuses to suck on it.


He reaches for my water bottle and will drink out of it when I hold it to his lips, although doing this gets messy.

Am I missing something here?

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Have you tried one with a straw? Some of the nipple ones are hard for even me!

SusanL said...

When Joshua and Caleb were one, they still had not figured out how to use the sippy cup. I think I waited way too long to introduce, but my dr gave me great advice that worked for us. I started putting water in their bottles, and formula or watered down juice in the sippy cups. They greatly preferred the cups' contents and had no problem after that. He might not be old enough yet to try that but it definitely worked for us!!

Jennifer said...

We had the same struggles with Katie, and her doctor recommended a straw cup. She did much better with that (although they can be a bit messier).

Diane Mannina said...

I vote for trying the straw, as well! While it took Bella a number of tries to warm up to the idea of water, the straw cups have always been her cup of preference. I think it's maybe because she doesn't have to tip her head back, but either way, it's worth the shot.

Sorry Sarah said...

Sawyer also never warmed up tothe sippy cup and does awesome with the straw cups. Also, I know a speech therapist who says straw cups are better for speech development anyway, so double win.

Jen V. said...

another vote for the straw cups...