Wednesday, April 11, 2012

making baby food

Mason finally caught on to eating solids. Or maybe I should say that I eventually figured out how to get him to open his mouth. Meal times are going well now. He sits in his high chair and impatiently pounds the tray for more.

With the exception of buying one box of rice cereal and one jar of unsweetened applesauce, I've made all of Mason's other food, which I love doing. It doesn't feel like a chore at all. I use my trusty food processor and a couple of ice cube trays.


After the cubes of food freeze, I pop them out and store them in labeled, resealable bags.


He has quite a collection in the freezer already. Thus far he's eaten rice cereal, bananas, applesauce, avocados, peas, zucchini, and sweet potatoes. I have asparagus and carrots on deck.

What are/were your baby's favorite first foods?

4 comments:

Meg said...

One butternut squash makes a ton of baby food. We've also done pears and plums and she especially likes the two combined with a little banana mixed in. She's not big on the green veggies yet, but maybe I'll try zucchini and asparagus. I can't get a good texture with peas and green beans.

Amy- Taylors East said...

Looks good! It's so easy to do. I don't know why more people don't make their own. I think I already sent you my Cooking for Baby book recommendation. I'd highly recommend making the baby vegetable stock recipe. He can drink it from a sippy cup and then you can puree the veggies too. (Also- unsweetened applesauce is the way to go. That's one short cut that is totally worth it!)

Chris said...

Hi there, gosh, took me back a few years when I used to make baby food for my twins. Back then, it was leftover Sunday roast beef with veggies and gravy. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Stephanie said...

I agree with Meg- butternut squash was a huge it and one makes a ton of food! Also, jarred unsweetened applesauce, sweet potatoes and carrots too. Watch out with all the orange food though, his skin may get an orange hue! Once summer comes, peaches and pears are a big hit!