Thursday, March 29, 2012

high chair hiccup

I've been on a quest for a high chair for some time now, and I knew two things:
1. I wanted a dark wood high chair, preferably something that would blend with our cherry dining room set.
2. I refused to spend full price on a chair that Mason won't use for long. (Although, these Stokke Tripp Trapps are pretty cool, huh? Too bad they're so expensive.)

I scoured Craig's List and the MOTH list serv, and I thought I had scored the deal of a lifetime. Another MOTH gave me a beautiful, wooden chair for free. Isn't it gorgeous?

I loved this chair. It's small and perfect for my tiny dining room. It's ornateness and charm fit our old house. And, a chair with a wooden tray is hard to find these days. The chair had some nicks and scratches, but I cleaned them up. Plus, did I mention that I got the chair for free?

Then I placed Mason in the chair, and it seemed a little rickety. The tray didn't fasten right. The safety strap was anything but safe. And the wood marker I used to cover the scratches rubbed off on Mason's clothes.

So, I went back to MOTH, and I found this Eddie Bauer chair for half off the retail price.


I like it. It's not as pretty as the first one, but it's sturdy and contains my big boy just fine. And, the wood still blends well with my dining room furniture.

3 comments:

Amy- Taylors East said...

They are both cute. We opted for the travel-saver kind that goes on top of a chair, which made it easy to store later. I would recommend the chicco travel seat for trips and restaurants. Side note: I find it hilarious that you (and I) both get these specific visions of what we want...and don't rest until we find it (at a bargain)!

Caitlin said...

Eek! A rickety high chair is scary. We have the same Eddie Bauer one and love it. It is sturdy and easy to clean.

And it sounds like you did great at the Wee Sale! I went on Saturday morning and got a few things, but I could tell it was definitely the left overs.

anieb said...

Nice wooden work on chairs but can you please mention here how much cost of this chair when we buy in bulk.