Friday, January 13, 2012

back to work update

Thanks very much for your encouragement and support as I returned to work on January 3rd. It's been a long two weeks, but Mason and I have survived. Actually, not much has changed for him yet. Two weeks before Christmas, his daycare arrangement fell through, which left me scrambling to find another spot. I secured one, and he starts on January 23rd. Until then, we're making do with grandparents visiting and caring for him at our home. I've learned that I can get myself up and ready, and Mason fed and dressed, without too many problems. It may be a different story once Brad or I have to get him (and all of his stuff) out the door at a decent time each morning.

Being back at work is strange. Work is exactly how I remember it, but my life has completely changed. Before Mason, I was busy and productive at work and my days flew by. Now, I'm still busy and fairly productive (even while pumping--thank goodness for these!), but each day feels like an eternity. I miss my baby! I never dreamed I could miss someone so much.

And the pumping, oh my goodness, the pumping. I love breastfeeding, but I abhor pumping. I could, and probably will, devote an entire blog post to pumping gaffes that have happened already. I'm committed, though, and will persevere during the coming months. It's amazing what you'll do for your child. Pumping is only the beginning. Fellow mamas, am I right?

I miss the new mommy/new baby bubble that's been my life since September 17th!

1 comment:

Susannah said...

Eek! Sorry about the daycare falling through. I'm sure that made things more chaotic and stressful. In regards to your last post, I just finished Interpreter of Maladies by Lahiri (who wrote Namesake). It wasn't an addictive read, but is a collection of short stories so matches well with a mommy schedule. It's beautifully written and I think you'll identify particularly with the first story.