Monday, November 14, 2011

what my to-do list should look like

Before becoming a parent, I remember friends talking about how one of their most difficult adjustments was feeling like they could never get anything done. Even my most organized friends bemoaned only being able to mark one or two items--instead of 20--from their to-do lists on a good day.

Oh, how I can now relate to this!

However, I think I need to change my perspective. It's not like I'm sitting around doing nothing all day. Ha! If anything, I'm more productive than I've ever been. I've never unloaded a dishwasher or showered so quickly in my life!

My to-do lists should reflect my day's activities. Then, I could mark every item off the list and fall into bed at night feeling productive and accomplished. This standard list pretty much sums up my daily life right now:
  • Feed Mason (x6 or 7)
  • Burp Mason (x6 or 7)
  • Change Mason (x7+)
  • Clean up at least one pee or poop accident
  • Dress Mason (possibly x2+ depending on above bullet)
  • Conduct Mason's exercises for left sternocleidomastoid (x5)
  • Apply Mason's cream for seborrhea (x2)
  • Give Mason a probiotic for gas
  • Make sure Mason gets 25-30 minutes of tummy time
  • Put Mason down for a nap (x4+)
  • Soothe Mason back to sleep ifwhen he wakes up early from nap (x4+)
  • Read/cuddle/snuggle/play in the few free "awake" minutes
  • Deal with evening fussiness
  • Bedtime routine
And these are just the Mason-related tasks that must be done each day. On days when I add on his baths, walks, pediatrician appointments, and the like, it's no wonder why my house is dirty and I can barely get dinner on the table!

4 comments:

Doctor Blondie said...

Wow.

tnthomas1 said...

Welcome to motherhood. Enjoy every minute of it!

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

After my first week back to work and Abel's first week as a solo full-time stay-at-home dad, he bemoaned, "But I don't have time to get anything done!" and I replied, "other than the care and feeding of two children? No, no you don't!" Crazy, right?

Amy Hill said...

Exactly! Good idea to make a list of what you DO do and then check that off. Maybe that would have helped me...

You are doing a fantastic job!!