Friday, October 14, 2011

hot harvest

I'm all for adding spice to my life (and my palate), but what on earth should I do with all of these jalapeno peppers, recently harvested from my one measly jalapeno plant? I picked at least 30 peppers, and there are still more to come.

I can try Pioneer Woman's jalapeno poppers recipe, which sounds delicious, but I'd need to throw a party to have enough people to consume all of these poppers in one sitting.

Any other ideas? Should I dice them up and freeze them?

5 comments:

rebecca.d.winnett said...

1. make a bunch of yummy fresh salsa and then freeze it for the colder months!

2. Make Jalapeno butter for use on veggies and breads, also freezable! http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/grilled-corn-on-cob-50400000113017/

3. Jalapeno Burgers! http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/jalapeo-stuffed-burgers-with-roasted-bell-pepper-ketchup-10000000257271/

4.Jalapeno and Basil Pork Chops while you can still grill outside:
http://www.southernliving.com/food/whats-for-supper/10-pork-chop-recipes-00400000040093/page9.html

5. A twist on holiday chutney, Cranberry and Jalapeno sauce
http://www.southernliving.com/food/holidays-occasions/christmas-holiday-appetizer-recipes-00417000068898/page20.html

taylorseast said...

I had the same problem and would have never be able to consume all the poppers. We made salsa, but for the rest I just pureed them in the food processor and froze them in ice cube trays. I plan to use them for cooking throughout the year.

kerryandtorey said...

Pepper Jelly! It could make some great little holiday gifts. Plus, it is yummy.

@rdweatherly said...

Make some fresh salsa. Even if you can't eat it all, Chris Kaine can knock it out for you.

You could open up a stand at the farmers' market behind your house.

My dad planted several pepper plants one year and had so many he gave a bag to just about everyone in town. He only planted one plant the next year.

Jen V. said...

i wonder if you can barter with them at the farmer's market?