Friday, October 28, 2011

book club fail

In over nine years of my book club, I've only missed three of our 97 meetings: June of 2005 for a stats class, January of 2008 because I was out of town, and September of 2011 because Mason was only 12 days old. However, nothing kept me from reading and finishing every book by the meeting, not even a PhD program or training for marathons.

But then Mason was born.

I missed September's meeting, but I still read the book. (I finished it before he was born, which now I understand, was key.) October's book selection, Juliet, Naked, sadly fell by the wayside, and I had only read a measly 123 of its 400+ pages by the meeting. I still went, and Mason made his debut at book club. When he started fussing (evenings are not his forte), the other members understood why I hadn't finished the book.


It's not like I haven't been reading since Mason was born. Children's books should count for something!

4 comments:

Solitary Diner said...

You could always read your book club books to Mason! When my nieces were too young to understand what was being said, my brother used to read medical journals to them at night. It was the weirdest thing to hear him saying things like "The placebo group was treated with standard ABVD chemotherapy, while the second group was treated with ABVD plus Rituximab." in a soft, soothing voice.

Alternatively, you could just accept that your involvement in book club has been forever changed by the arrival of your son.

Caitlin said...

I am super impressed that you made it through 123 pages with Mason so young. I don't think I even tried to read a book until Emerson was a few months old. If I sat still long enough to read, I fell asleep.

I never got good at reading adult books to him myself, but I did start listening to audio books on my iPod while nursing him (more interesting than tv, but I couldn't manage turning the pages of a book and nursing a baby at the same time).

And children's book absolutely count! I am sure I read about 20 of those a day...that has to add up to at least 10 pages of a novel.

Katie said...

Love!!! it! You are a bookclub diva! You made it to the club, I know those girls were dying to meet Mason - who cares about the book!

Jennifer said...

I read while nursing. When I stopped nursing, I didn't have time to read and it was sad!