Monday, September 26, 2011

we made it!

We celebrated Mason's one-week birthday by swinging by the National Book Festival on Saturday morning for about five minutes--long enough to take a picture and pick up a poster to frame and hang in his room. A very nice parking enforcement officer allowed us to park illegally right near the festivities after I told him that my one-week-old son needed to make a brief appearance at his first book festival.

Outings are still exhausting for us right now, so we all needed a nap after this trip.

When I first mentioned the book festival back in April, and whether I would be able to attend, a friend of mine commented that if I wasn't able to go, I probably wouldn't miss it at all. Diane, you were right! I didn't hear any authors speak this year and I definitely wasn't able to camp out there all day like I had done every other year. And I didn't care one bit. But, Lord willing, I am looking forward to attending the festival next year with a one-year-old in tow, even if it means I will spend my day in the children's area instead of visiting my favorite authors.

10 comments:

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

My friend, you look fabulous!! So glad you got down there if only for a few minutes. I hate to admit to you that this was my first year at the book festival but I happily hung out in all the children's tents thoroughly enjoying Lucas's excitement! But, I can guarantee you have 1 or 2 more years of enjoying your tents before Mason is interested in the children's areas!

Organized Living by Amy said...

Yay! So glad you made it!

Caitlin said...

Yay! You made it! I was thinking of you this weekend, wondering if you were going to be able to go.

Diane Mannina said...

Ha! Yes, isn't it amazing how your whole focus just shifts? You can't imagine how wonderful and exhausting those first few days will be with your little one. The world just fades away. But like you said, it will come back! ;)

Susannah said...

Fun!! Mason knows right off the bat how important reading is to his mama.

Jennifer said...

Love it! I was wondering if you would go. I love seeing Brad sporting the Baby Bjorn!

BBH said...

What a beautiful family! Glad you were able to go for a little while.

@rdweatherly said...

It's really not fair that you look so good a week after giving birth! I'm so glad you got to go for even a few minutes. I thought about you all day, and I have a new respect for parking officers! God bless!

SusanL said...

So glad you were able to go, but PLEASE turn the little guy around to face the camera! Can't wait to see more pictures! And no one should look so nice one week after giving birth :)

allison kee said...

Yay! You look great!