Wednesday, September 28, 2011

September recipe challenge: Tarte Aux Cerises, Flambee

Don't worry, Gentle Readers. I completed this challenge and wrote this blog post long before Mason arrived. I'm ambitious, but not ambitious enough to attempt a recipe challenge with an eleven-day-old! I'm working on some Mason-related entries and pictures to post here soon. Stay tuned!

I went back to Julia this month and made the French version of cherries jubilee. The most time-consuming portion involved removing the stems and pits from the fresh cherries. Making the crust, custard, and filling, and assembling the dish weren't too bad. I made this dessert from start to finish in one afternoon--much faster than the typical two days these recipe challenges have been taking lately.

This challenge seemed to go smoothly, and I was excited...

straight from the broiler

until...
poised and ready to see a show
the warmed cognac carefully poured on top of the dessert failed to light! I was so disappointed. I longed to see this dish engulfed in flames. I had even turned off the lights in the kitchen to make the show seem even more spectacular.

I have no idea what I did wrong. Maybe I warmed to cognac too much and there was no alcohol left to burn?

To drown my sorrows, I piled on the vanilla ice cream, which is a must for any warm dessert.

still tasty, even without the flames

2 comments:

Kelly said...

You keep making me hungry with your posts. Hope you and your little guy are doing great!

Solitary Diner said...

Looks fabulous. Is the recipe available online?