Thursday, September 15, 2011

fun times

Nearly every day I take off work is consumed with errands, chores, appointments, house projects, etc. It's my own fault, but I rarely take a day off to just loaf around or do something fun. But maternity leave has been all fun thus far, and the baby's not even here yet! The uncertainty surrounding Baby's arrival forced us to complete most of the errands, chores, and household tasks in advance, leaving me with blissful, rare, free time to relax and enjoy myself before the chaos really begins.

On Monday, I went for a run/walk, toured a daycare (okay, kind of a chore/errand), and went to see The Help, which I loved!


I usually don't like the movie version of a book I enjoyed, but in this case, I thought the movie was very well done and true to the book.

On Tuesday, I went to the National Arboretum and walked 2-3 miles, but didn't even cover a third of the area. For years, my friend has been encouraging me to visit this hidden gem in DC, and I'm thrilled I finally did because I LOVED it! How could I resist this?


Or this?


I loved the Capitol Columns.



I walked through the azalea section to climb to the top of Mount Hamilton to glimpse the U.S. Capitol and the Washington Monument through the break in the trees. I can't wait to return in the spring to see the azaleas in full bloom!

Yesterday, I mostly walked and ran a tiny bit to the Washington Monument and back. But, I had forgotten that the monument was damaged in the earthquake, and I couldn't get anywhere near it, so I walked around it. Also, I saved the running portion for the end of the route so I would be near home, but running after walking five miles in the heat was grueling--I made it about six blocks (off and on) before I called it quits. Today's plan, assuming my legs have recovered, includes a seven-mile loop to the Lincoln Memorial. And this weekend, if Baby still hasn't arrived, I may walk the eight-mile loop to see the new Martin Luther King, Jr. National Memorial. All of this walking should pay off, right? Right??

I'm taking suggestions of activities for next week, preferably labor-inducing ones, should I need them...

4 comments:

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

Yay! SO glad you loved the Arboretum!!

rebecca.d.winnett said...

yeah! such a great day- I wish i could have joined you!

Next time you go to the arboretum make sure to check out the Bonsai gardens. I love them, it was a surprise love, and am always eager to visit them again!

BBH said...

The book and the movie were great!

@rdweatherly said...

Read this: http://www.webmd.com/baby/features/babys-coming-when. It's a bit more scientific than eating spicy food or going for a bumpy car ride.

Brad throwing a "Florida fit" might do the trick!