Thursday, August 4, 2011

parenting resources

I've held true to my vow to not read any books about pregnancy. My doctor, friends, and Google have been more than sufficient to answer any questions I've had.

But since I finished The Count of Monte Cristo a few weeks ago (Side note: Brad still has 400 pages to go... will we survive this married reading challenge, Gentle Readers?) and Brad has been asking me an increasing number of baby-care-related questions--he's searching for the instruction manual--I have checked out a few parenting resources that friends have recommended. I thumbed through Baby Bargains as I set up my registries (all online, so quick and easy and I didn't have to troll through baby stores!). Brad and I spent a Friday night watching the DVD of The Happiest Baby on the Block and were amazed when we successfully soothed a few fussy infants at church during childcare based on Dr. Karp's tips--it was like magic! I just finished reading On Becoming Babywise, and the authors' approach to feeding and sleeping makes so much sense to me that it's hard to believe that it doesn't work for all babies. I just received the newest edition of Baby 411, which seemed to be the best instruction-manual-type book on the market to answer Brad's questions.

It's easy to focus solely on the baby's practical needs, but Brad and I need much more guidance in parenting biblically, which is most important anyway. One of our pastors is conveniently offering a first-time parenting workshop in a few weeks that we plan to attend. Later this year, Brad and I will take our church's 13-week core seminar on parenting. In the meantime, I have two books on my must-read list: Shepherding a Child's Heart and Loving the Little Years. Christian moms, any other recommendations?

7 comments:

Jen V. said...

We watched the Shepherding a Child's Heart DVD series. Essentially, each segment is each chapter in a ~25 minute lecture given by Tedd Tripp. We watched the segments together and then discussed them. Just another option.....

Sunshine said...

i am almost through loving the younger years and its cute. I am also wanting to read dont make me count to three I forget who the author is though

Sunshine said...

ok and a quick question when does the parenting core seminar start?

Stacy said...

I would add "Don't make me count to three" by Ginger Plowman, but you won't need it for a little while (till you have a toddler or so...). Great choices, have happy reading!!

Diane Mannina said...

I really liked the "Baby Whisperer"! It promotes the same feeding/sleeping schedule as Babywise, but it's a little less legalistic in its application. What I love is that she really accounts for the different personality types of each baby.

I must say though, at the end of the day when you've frantically thumbed through every book looking for an answer, just trust your instinct as his/her mom and trust that God brings every parenting trial to you as a good gift.

@rdweatherly said...

Don't discount the amazing impact you and Brad just being the good people you are setting a good Christian foundation for your child. Of all my friends growing up who are the most devout people I know today, their parents made church a part of their family life, but more importantly, they set a good example of loving God and living his word in their everyday life. You and Brad by your example will lead your child to a good Christian life. I have faith in that. :)

Heather N. said...

I agree with Diane. I loved Baby Whisperer! I read it before Grant was born. I did Babywise with C and A and really appreciate the basic principles in the book (and they worked with all three of mine!), but it can be pretty hard core. For instance, I remember feeling guilty for picking one of my crying babies up, and Dan had to remind me that the guy who wrote the book wasn't watching me through the window. Baby Whisperer is a little more balanced. Thus relieving you of some of the pressure.