Tuesday, August 16, 2011

the eggplant thief

Weeks ago, I had an eggplant in the making.


This beauty tripled in size. I went out to pick it and found a barren plant.


This is the THIRD TIME an eggplant has been snatched from under my nose this summer. I have yet to harvest anything from this plant. Which critter is stealing my eggplants? The produce is larger than the squirrels, so I doubt it's them. And they normally gnaw on and bat the goods around the yard and leave the remains for me to clean up, but I have yet to find a trace of each stolen eggplant. I'm beginning to think that someone is jumping over our fence and making off with my vegetables while Brad and I are at work!

My green peppers are looking good--I need to harvest them before someone or something else does!


2 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

It's the squirrels (irony!). They will take my t'maters and eggplants too. I find them clear aross the yard each morning. I've starting picking stuff that's near ripe and letting it finish in a sunny window for fear they will steal things. I have no idea how to solve this problem other than picking stuff early. Argh!

Briana Arlene said...

I have had something steal whole eggplants from my garden, too! And I have a balcony garden a few stories up.