Thursday, June 23, 2011

people and their comments

I'm starting to look pregnant enough for strangers to make their infamous comments. (Side note: Praise God for 28 weeks and the third trimester as of Wednesday!) Recently, I had two run-ins on the same day, only a few hours apart. Walking home from the metro, I stopped to let a large delivery truck pass through the four-way stop. The driver waved me to cross the street in front of him and I immediately thought, "What a kind man!" until he hung out his truck window and shouted over and over, "Looks like you're having a XXX! Looks like you're having a XXX!"

People on the street stared at me, adding to my humiliation. But, after throwing one dirty glance back at the obnoxious truck driver, I pressed on toward home and tried to forget the incident.

Later that same day, I stopped by a maternity store to cash in some rewards certificates I earned on my previous shopping trip. I had the same sales woman helping me as before, and she didn't question my pregnancy this time, but she couldn't believe how far along I was. After I told her Brad and I didn't find out the sex because we wanted to be surprised, she said, "Oh, well you look like you're having a XXX." She shared the truck driver's opinion.

I was tempted to turn around and walk out, but I really wanted to use those reward certificates!


It must have been the outfit because I haven't had any incidents since that day.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Yay! I think about you every day at 9 a.m. when this woman who looks about 8-9 months pregnant jogs in front of my house. She has the toned arms and legs of a runner and then this adorable belly. I imagine that's what you'll look like running around your park in a month or two!

ASP said...

"You look like you're having a girl!" ;) Just kiiiiddding! Happy 3rd Trimester to you! You're almost there!

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

Do you remember the litte ice breaker we played at my baby shower for Lucas? Everyone went around and said where their name came from. What struck me (and really stuck with me!) was how many women in room had a story similary to this...well, my mom and everyone else was CONVINCED I was going to be a boy based on X, Y, Z, so they only had a boy name picked out. Then I was a girl so they came up with X in the hospital.


Bottom line: No one has ANY idea! But EVERYONE has a 50/50 chance of being right or wrong! (Except God, of course!) So just keep on ignoring them!

diana onorio funk said...

aimee's right -- EVERYONE has an opinion: what you're having, how big (or small) you look, how tired you look, how your life will change... yada yada yada. (and let's not forget the woman in the target parking lot who called me a "fatass" when i was eight months pregnant.) my favorite response to any unsolicited comment is a simple "thank you." because, really, what can anyone say to that? third trimester!! you're in the home stretch now, baby!!!

@rdweatherly said...

You look like you're having a BABY! You look like you're having a BABY!!!