Monday, June 20, 2011

down for the count

It takes a lot to knock me out of commission. In nearly 11 years of working, I've only missed four or five days unexpectedly because of sickness that left me truly bedridden and feeling like I just could not work.

And yet here I am, for the fourth consecutive night, watching the minutes inch by on the clock because I am up and in pain, experiencing some ugly pregnancy side effects and knowing that there's no way I can go to work in the morning. I've learned the hard way (pun intended) that pregnancy exacerbates constipation and hemorrhoids--issues for me even when not pregnant. I'll spare you the gory details, but I've been horizontal and miserable since Thursday night. I can't sit or stand, or sleep for more than an hour or two at a time. I haven't left the house in days. I don't know how I'll ever ride in a car or run again. There is no relief on the horizon yet, and after my doctor's warning yesterday that this could be a chronic problem for me for the rest of the pregnancy, I just want to cry (which I've already done plenty of this weekend).

But, even though I am in agony, Baby's still doing fine as far as I can tell, praise God. And I am constantly reminded how lucky I am to have made it this far, or even to be pregnant at all. Perhaps these sleepless nights are preparing me for motherhood. So, I'll deal with these nasty 'roids, even it if means strapping an ice pack to my bum for the next 12 weeks.

9 comments:

Alice said...

You poor thing!! I hope this is just temporary and you feel better soon.

BBH said...

:( I hope you feel better soon!

Caitlin said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. Miserable! I hope you feel better soon.

Diane Mannina said...

No fun! Let me know if you need someone to organize an early meals on wheels schedule for you. We'll get you through this!

Kelly said...

Oh, I'm so sorry, babe! I really hope this passes quickly.

SusanL said...

I'm so sorry. Hope you're better soon!

ASP said...

Oh gosh, feel better sooooon!

Amy said...

Hope you feel better soon and that this doesn't last for the rest of the pregnancy! So sorry!

Heather Nelson said...

Praying for you right now, girl! This too shall pass - hopefully soon!