Wednesday, June 22, 2011

constant harvest

Three years into gardening, I finally feel as though I've gained a tiny bit of wisdom regarding it. For example, once my peas finished a few weeks ago, I pulled them up and replaced them with eggplant and green pepper plants, hoping to get two crops (of different vegetables) out of my containers this summer. My Mesclun greens are still going strong after two months, but I expect July's heat will zap them if June's doesn't. I recently learned that I can sow more lettuce seeds in September for a fall crop, so that's what I'll do. We are loving these greens (and are enjoying not paying ridiculous prices for them at the farmers market)!


My green beans are exploding right now. I have no idea how I'll find let alone pick them all before they rot.


How do people with large gardens have time to do it all? I can barely keep up with the two small boxes and six containers that I have.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Your green beans will freeze well! Just blanch them and then they can be frozen... and imagine how tasty they will be in the winter months!!

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

I'm so impressed! We've only been planting tomatoes but next year I'm determined that we'll put in some raised bed gardens AT LEAST for some greens, too! YUM!

PS Just think, next summer all those peas can turn into baby food!!!

Solitary Diner said...

Wonderful looking crop. I'm struggling with a few boxes of herbs and tomatoes on my balcony!