Thursday, May 19, 2011

the vision: complete

The overhauls to my front and back yards are finally done! Step one included cutting down the tree  in the front yard and building a flowerbed in the wasteland between the public sidewalk and the curb. Step two involved removing the decrepit front walk and installing a new brick walk. I beautified the front yard for step three. And finally, to conclude my vision, I ripped out the jungle in the back yard in front of the deck and replanted the bed.

This "before" picture was taken two years ago, right after we moved in, so imagine how overgrown and crazy this bed had gotten since then.


I don't know what all was growing there, but it was a hot mess. So, I tore everything out and researched shade friendly, flowering shrubs that would eventually grow tall enough to close the gap between the ground and the bottom of the deck. (I chose lovely evergreen rhododendrons and filled in with some extra hostas and impatiens that I had.) And, voila--I present my masterpiece below!


The rhododendrons are blooming right now, and I know they won't look like this for long, but I will enjoy their beauty while I can. My outdoor vision is now complete, and I've decided that I'm never moving out of this house. After putting this much thought, time, money, and work into the yard, I can't bear the thought of turning it over to someone else who will either not appreciate it, neglect it, destroy it, or all of the above!

Nope, I'm staying here. Forever.

Stay tuned for pictures of the rest of the back yard.

5 comments:

Diane Mannina said...

Beautiful! I wouldn't move either!

Organized Living by Amy said...

looks great!

ASP said...

Beautiful! I was just talking to a neighbor about how I feel the same way about our yard. We've talked about moving before but I can't imagine leaving all of the hard work we've put into this place and having someone neglect it. You've done an amazing job! It's been fun watching the transformation!

Katie said...

The rhododendrons will just keep getting more and more beautiful. Good choice!

BBH said...

It looks really good!