Tuesday, May 31, 2011

May recipe challenge: tarte aux pommes

May has been a busy month. We've either been out of town or completely booked every weekend, so this month's challenge was pushed to the last possible day that still allowed me to blog about it before June arrived. Within two hours of landing at Reagan Airport on Memorial Day after our weekend trip to Key Biscayne, I was on my date with Julia Child and her first volume of Mastering the Art of French Cooking in my kitchen.

This month's challenge involved baking. Dough and crusts continue to challenge me. Baking is not my strength because I'm horrible at sticking to a recipe.

I don't have many pictures to share because I confess that I hurried through this recipe. As I was putting the tart into the oven, I realized my major mistake: I forgot to semi-bake the crust before filling it.

I tried to make up for this oversight by baking the tart on a lower rack in the oven and for longer than the recipe called for. I think it turned out okay.

Here is the tart right as I popped it into the oven.


And finished, finally! I find that I usually have to bake my dishes much longer than Julia says I will.


Although the crust was not semi-baked in advance and turned out uneven (see below), I did have one major success with this dish: when I released the sides of the Springform pan, the tart STOOD ALONE--as it was supposed to--and didn't instantly collapse as last month's challenge did! Wahoo!



Like my other creations, it wasn't as pretty as it should have been, but it tasted great! There is nothing like a piping hot tart, cobbler, or pie, slathered in melting vanilla ice cream.

1 comment:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Looks fabulous!

And you might want to buy a thermometer and test your oven temps. My oven runs a bit cool so I have to adjust for that when making something specific from Martha or Julia or the like.