Wednesday, May 25, 2011

lone peony

If I've learned anything about gardening, it's that perennials require patience. My first hydrangea bush didn't bloom at all the first summer, produced two flowers the second summer, and then up and died suddenly, causing me to replace it this year, and start all over. (Not to mention the fact that after two years, I'm still trying to turn them blue.)

I planted three peony bushes in the front yard last spring. None of them bloomed. One produced a bud, but it never opened. This year, one peony bush produced one bud and it finally opened, kind of.

Here it is, on the verge of true beauty.


And then it drooped over and started to turn brown before reaching its full glory. It still smelled lovely, though.


Remind me again--perennials are worth it in the long run, right?

4 comments:

Amy said...

Peonies are tricky. They need to be very shallowly buried. You may have to dig them up and bring them closer to the surface each year (my mulching makes them seem to get deeper). Also, something I learned. Ants on peonies is a good thing. If you don't have ants, you won't have blooms.

R. said...

I don't know anything about peonies...sorry. I think today is your 24 week mark. Congrats.

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

I'd love some peonies but they sure sound tricky! Hopefully it will start producing for you next year!!

Carol said...

My rhododendron did the same thing the first year. I was told they over-fertilize at the shop to make them bloom and they're shocked when planted and don't bloom the first year in ground. But they are super-hardy, survived the snowpocalypse, and just finished blooming this year. They are my favorite perennial because any brown thumb can make it pretty. If your peony doesn't survive, try them!