Friday, May 6, 2011

the invasion begins

My sweet and wise friend who talked me into purchasing and wearing belly bands has struck again, although she didn't intend to.

Before I share this story, let me say that my small steps each week are 100% spontaneous. I have not once planned out steps for particular weeks or thought ahead to what I will do at certain milestones. I do what seems necessary and feels somewhat comfortable for that week, and if nothing fits both of those conditions, I do nothing. I've really turned over a new leaf as far as spontaneity and shunning the to-do list goes, which is incredibly refreshing.

Last week, I got invited to join my church's Google group for moms and moms-to-be. I gulped and clicked "accept" on the invitation, thinking it would be my small step for week 20. I went to my 20-week appointment the next morning, checked my email afterward, and saw that my friend had advertised to the group that she was giving away a Fisher-Price Space Saver Swing and Seat. On a high from the good doctor's report and motivated by the words "free" and "space saving", I immediately responded to claim the seat/swing.

I mean, I had no choice but to act quickly, right? Someone else would have claimed that seat/swing if I didn't.

I stopped by my friend's house the next day to pick it up. I knew if I waited much longer, I'd chicken out. Not that she'd let me out of taking it, of course. She pumped me up about this first baby item entering my house and how proud she was of my "small step" for week 20.

And that is how this foreign object ended up in Brad's and my current guest room, future home, Lord willing, of Baby.


This contraption looks strange and out of place in our very adult house. I keep peeking at it, and reminding myself that it's for Brad's and my baby and not a gift for someone else's. Baby may not come home to a crib, many clothes, or a finished nursery, but at least he or she will have a place to sit.

11 comments:

Diane Mannina said...

Hooray for space saving, borrowed baby items! It's the way to go.:)

Caitlin said...

First, I'm super proud of you. That's a big step!

Second, I wouldn't have survived the first year of Emerson's life without a swing like that. Something about that motion is soothing to wee ones and there were quite a few nights that one of us were sleeping on the couch while he was lulled to sleep by the swing. Great choice of baby gear to claim!

The Fledgling Mom said...

Yay!

Please let me know if you're ready for a couple more steps -- I've got some carriers -- both a green Moby wrap and a Baby Bjorn carrier I'd love to let you all borrow ...:)

Organized Living by Amy said...

That's great and a perfect first step. We have a similar one and I'm all about space saving!

Red Stethoscope said...

For a first step, you couldn't have done better! Those swings are perfect and when the baby is really little (this is all hearsay from my friends with children, by the way), they're going to sleep more there than they will in a crib.

rebecca.d.winnett said...

So proud of you and very glad to see more of these small steps!

Keep trusting the Lord, and remembering his goodness. He is a loving Heavenly Father!

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

Love it! Also love that you are going to end up with what you really NEED and not a million extra things (that you don't have room for anyway!). Great small step!

AMRJ said...

YEAH! Very proud of you! Congratulations!

@rdweatherly said...

You are doing great, and I couldn't be happier for you!!

R. said...

I totally get this anxiety about not wanting or having baby furniture or stuff around, but I do agree - who could pass up on free? Good for you!

Doctor Blondie said...

It's a pretty swing-thing. And I admire you for doing this with, er, baby steps.