Tuesday, May 10, 2011

front yard, check!

Brad and I spent more than five hours on Saturday placing weed control fabric over every inch of our planting space in the front and back yards and mulching, until we ran out of supplies. We had bought tickets for the Capitol Hill House and Garden tour that afternoon, and didn't take into account all the walking and step climbing we'd be doing on the tour when we tackled our yard work on Saturday morning. We could barely move on Saturday night!

The front yard is done, and once we finish the back yard, after buying and placing more lawn fabric and mulch, I'll post those pictures.

My parents visited about a month ago, and they helped me add a level to my flower bed to keep people and dogs from walking through it.  In this bed, I have a mix of perennials (Hostas, Blue Star Lithodora, Aztec White Verbena) and annuals (Gerber Daisies, Dahlias, and several types of Lilies).


I approached the front yard with a similar plan--a mix of perennials (Peonies, Phlox, Caladium, and some Encore Azaleas that like sun and should bloom spring, summer, and fall!!) and annuals (Dianthus, Dahlias, Stock, Snapdragons, and Gladiolus).


Here's the full view.


I love these early pictures when everything looks impeccably organized and tidy. But, I can't wait for full bloom!

4 comments:

Organized Living by Amy said...

Looks great!

BBH said...

It's so pretty! I really like your house, too!

Red Stethoscope said...

Cute! Excited to see them come into bloom this summer.

@rdweatherly said...

We just spent our entire day putting down weed mat across the entire front of the house. Joe says I'll be glad when we don't have more weeds than plantings later, but I'm not sure my knees agree! Your yard looks beautiful. What I wouldn't give for your green thumb! I'd even take a green pinky.