Friday, April 8, 2011

future runner?

One benefit of all the fertility and pregnancy problems we've had is more frequent ultrasounds and visits to the doctor. If I had to regularly wait four weeks between appointments, like most women in my stage of pregnancy, I would surely be in the nuthouse by now. To date, I've had six ultrasounds--at weeks 5, 6, 7, 9, 12, and 16--and I will have at least one more. And that's not even counting the first ultrasound picture taken moments after my IVF transfer that shows three tiny puffs of white (my three embryos) in my womb. Not only is this extra attention reassuring, I am amassing quite a collection of pictures at various stages of the baby's development. Although it frightens me a little, I love reviewing these pictures from IVF transfer to present day over and over to marvel at the changes that have occurred.

At the last ultrasound appointment, the baby's legs and feet were shuffling and dancing all over the place, and the technician sat back and said, "Well, it looks like you have a future runner on your hands!"

She made this observation and had no idea that Brad and I are runners! I immediately told her and she said, "Well, Baby obviously wants to run those marathons with you!"

Now, current parents, if your ultrasound technician said the same thing to you, please don't tell me. Please don't burst my bubble. Let me believe that Brad and I may indeed have a future runner on our hands. After confirmation that the baby was still alive and had grown since our last "peek", the technician's observation made my week. It allowed me to daydream a little about running strollers and to make the decision to buy one, but I didn't even browse online for them because it's not time to yet--that can be a post-birth research project and purchase.

In fact, I was so excited about a healthy baby thus far and the possibility of having a future runner that I didn't take any small steps during week 16 beyond mentally deciding to buy a running stroller and reveling in the miracle of our baby's existence and development. But, for someone like me who struggles with fear, celebrating and marveling at God's creation is enough of a step for any week. I will cling to joy any place I find it.

I also feel more encouraged to keep running for as long as I can during this pregnancy. I took an eight-week running break when things with IVF got hot and heavy (you can't exercise after a certain point in the IVF cycle) through the early weeks of pregnancy until the doctor gave me the okay to start again. I've been running regularly, albeit shorter distances and at a slower pace (there go my 2011 running goals, but Lord willing, I won't hit them for a good reason), for weeks now, and I've felt great while doing it. 

Baby likes running, so that's what I'll do! What greater motivation exists to keep it up?

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

We were never told that during an ultrasound! Quite the opposite--they made me get up, drink juice, walk around, etc. to get baby to move. Of course, we're not runners! I'm glad you're taking small steps...keep it up!

SusanL said...

We never heard that, either! We were told every time how large our boys' feet were, and that has proven to be quite true!
I'm so glad you are encouraged. Praying for you often!
Love,
Susan

The Fledgling Mom said...

Yay for runner babies! And runner mommies!

kerryandtorey said...

I see a BOB Ironman in your future.

BBH said...

So glad things are going well. I'm going to email you at some point with some IVF questions, if you don't mind. Are you going to find out the sex?

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

yay! yay! yay! No one ever mentioned a runner to me, either! In fact, I also had to move around a few times to get baby to position how they needed him. xoxo