Wednesday, April 13, 2011

awkward

I've been eager for confirmation that my two lovebirds who work for me this semester are actually an item and not just a figment of my overactive imagination. Well, yesterday I got it, but not in a way that I would have preferred.

Neither one of them showed up for our mandatory 8:30 a.m. staff meeting on Tuesday, which was odd because they're both very responsible. As I left voice mail messages for each one, I thought, "I bet they're shacking and the alarm didn't go off." And, sure enough, that's exactly what happened!

(Side note: Is shacking still the proper word for it? Or have I severely dated myself by using it?)

What makes this situation slightly awkward is that they openly admitted spending the night together. Although it makes me a little uncomfortable, I will say that after all the lying I've dealt with lately, honesty is refreshing. About 30 minutes after the staff meeting ended I received a frantic text message from one of them and a panicked email message from the other. Both messages said things like, "WE overslept." and "OUR alarm didn't go off."

So, now I know! And now you do, too.

2 comments:

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

Ha! I guess this is a case of be careful what you ask for -- full honesty! I think the term is "hooking up" or "hooked up" but who knows if that's outdated, too!

Red Stethoscope said...

Well, at least they were honest about it, right? I'm with Aimee-the cool kids call it "hooking up," I think.