Monday, March 14, 2011

saving or savings?

I tend to be a day late and a dollar short on these grammar-related posts. But, springing forward this past weekend reminded me of a commonly misused term: daylight-savings time.

I confess that I mistakenly called it daylight-savings time, too, up until about five years ago. The proper term is daylight-saving time (singular, not plural). I agree with Grammar Girl, and hyphenate daylight and saving because I consider them a compound modifier, but that's a style choice. Simply writing daylight saving time is appropriate, too.

The moral of this story is that just because a majority of the population says daylight-savings time doesn't mean it's correct.

Regardless of using the correct term, I'm doing a happy dance at having the sunlight last past 7 p.m. Come on, spring!

No comments: