Tuesday, March 29, 2011

March recipe challenge: filet de boeuf en croute . . .

. . . also known as beef wellington. I used Julia Child's recipe from the second volume of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, which involved baking bread, something I vowed to never do again after last month's challenge, and TWO DAYS of preparation and work. Thank goodness for a week off for spring break/furlough last week! I never would have had time to make this dish, per Julia's strict and complicated instructions, on a weekend.

Don't most people buy frozen sheets of puff pastry for this recipe? Oh no, not Julia. The horror! The embarrassment!

I also had to buy and use cheese cloth, which I thought was kind of fun because I've never had to do that before.

Julia's a firm believer of substituting brioche dough for puff pastry. Last Tuesday, I made the dough, let it rise twice, and stored it in the refrigerator for the next day. I also made the sauce, which took me more than two hours!

On Wednesday morning, I made the filling and cut, prepped, and stuffed the beef tenderloin. Julia advocated cutting the tenderloin into slices and stuffing the filling between the slices, which is what I did.


Then I wrapped the pieces together nice and tight in cheesecloth. It looks like a large sausage, doesn't it? I roasted the beef in the oven for about 20 minutes.


Wednesday afternoon, I rolled out the dough and wrapped the beef in it. I had some extra dough, so I embraced my artistic skills. (Note: The "T" is the first initial of Brad's and my last name. It does NOT stand for the sports team that my husband is obsessed with.)


Then I roasted the bundle in the oven until it became nice and brown. The two lines of the "T" separated, and my hearts grew puffy!


Even though the beef was already sliced, carving the entire thing turned out to be a little trickier than I thought. But it tasted great! I served this dish with roasted asparagus.


What a nice (and complicated) meal for a random Wednesday night!

4 comments:

Organized Living by Amy said...

oh my goodness. That is complicated!I'm going to order beef wellington next time I'm out to eat!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Wow! Wow, wow!! I cannot believe how much time went into one meal. I'm sooo impressed!

SusanL said...

I am beyond impressed!!

Kelly said...

That looks wonderful!