Tuesday, March 1, 2011

giving back or working the system?

Brad and I won't be running the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler this year because the race's lottery system didn't choose us. But we'll be there anyway, volunteering. After honoring this runner's rite of spring for the last five years, I couldn't bear to miss the race, even if I was benched.

Plus, after five years and at least 20 races, it's time we gave something back. We've enjoyed countless water stations, post-race snacks, and encouragement along the course thanks to hundreds of volunteers.

I confess that my service is not entirely selfless. 2011 race volunteers are supposedly guaranteed entry to the 2012 race. Goodbye lottery, for one year at least!

Brad and I signed up to work at a water station. If you're one of the lucky ones running the race this year, let me know so I can watch for you and cheer you on!

1 comment:

Carrie - LittleLlamas said...

Love it! What a great blog!