Thursday, January 27, 2011

January recipe challenge: poulet au porto

Poulet au Porto by Julia Child

Start-to-finish time: about 2 1/2 hrs

What made it challenging: trussing a chicken and lighting the concoction on fire with cognac while it was cooking on the stove, two things I had never done before

The ingredients...
 

The trussed chicken (not completely sure I did it right... the diagram was a little hard to decipher)


The flames from the cognac barely show up in the picture below (far right in the pan), but they were most impressive! I was nervous about it at first, but it was exhilarating to light my concoction on fire--cherries jubilee, here I come! (Don't worry, Brad was right next to me near the fire extinguisher in case we had an emergency.)


Almost done...


The full meal. I served poulet au porto with a baked potato and sauteed spinach.


Assessment: We loved it. I would make it again.

One down, 11 to go!

3 comments:

Amy said...

That looks delicious! I'll have to try that sometime. I have Julia's cookbook and still haven't made anything yet. Will have to change that.

kerryandtorey said...

I am impressed!

rebecca.d.winnett said...

looks delicious! I'll have to try it soon too! Hope you have a snowday today!