Monday, January 10, 2011

2011 goals

I've learned a few things from setting goals the past few years. First, I need to structure my goals in ways that motivate me. For example, it's pointless for me to set a numerical goal to read books. I love to read and am naturally motivated to read as many books in a year as I can. On the other hand, I NEED a miles goal to guilt me into running regularly. Second, procrastinating causes unnecessary stress.

Here are my goals for 2011.

Cooking
  • Select and prepare one recipe per month that challenges me (i.e. involves an in-depth procedure or a technique or piece of equipment that is unfamiliar to me). (Note: I'm excited about this one. Expect to hear about it monthly on my blog. Thanks Julia, for the many challenges you are sure to provide me.)
Running
(Sigh. Saying I'll try my best no matter what I experience health or weather wise isn't good enough, is it?)
  • 400 miles
  • I'd like to work on speed this year. I'll never be a fast runner, but I slowed down a little in 2010, and I'm not happy about it. So, by July 1st, I hope to reduce my minutes/mile pace by 30 seconds/mile for my standard five-mile run before work. By December 31st, I hope to finish this standard run one minute per mile faster.
Reading
(I've thought long and hard about these selections, and I have a reason for each of them.)

I addition to all selections for both book clubs I'm in, I will read the following books:
Wish me luck!

    6 comments:

    Doctor Blondie said...

    I've read the entire Anne of Green Gables series between the ages of 8 and 10. I was a bit of a bookworm at the time.

    rebecca.d.winnett said...

    I love your reading goals this year, and of course am in full support of the cooking and running as well :)

    Amy said...

    Great goals! I also read the whole Anne seres as a kid. Great books. But Jane Eyre is, I think, my all-time favorite and I've read it over and over again. I just read Mark Twain's Huck Finn and Tom Sawyers adventures this year. Felt good to finally read them. My book club actually read To Kill a Mockingbird (a re-read for me) and Huck Finn as a double book read one month this year. Fun to pair books up sometimes for added dimensions in the discussion. Good luck on all your goals!

    Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

    I didn't read Anne of Green Gables until I was in college in an Adolescent Lit class. OMG the whole series is fantastic! I also read Bridge to Terabithia in that class- another one of my adult favs that I never read as a kid.

    Can't wait to see what fun things you cook up this year!

    kerryandtorey said...

    Jane Eyre is one of my favorites. I rarely re-read a book but have this one three times :-)

    AMRJ said...

    I do love your goals post every year! You are so motivated..I'm very impressed :) On another topic, I can't wait to hear about your impression of Anne of Green Gables. It is one of my all-time favorite books. Once you finish the book, you should rent the movie too! I'd be happy to watch it with you..again, one of my all-time favs!! Best of luck with all your goals this year!