Monday, December 27, 2010

my someday Christmas goose

Our cozy Christmas dinner for two
I grew up eating fondue on Christmas Eve and ham and turkey--or both--on Christmas Day. Brad and I have continued the fondue tradition with our own little family of two, but we've implemented a new meal for Christmas Day: rare-to-medium-rare beef tenderloin.

We both love this meal. It's delicious and simple, yet elegant. Beef tenderloin requires little preparation or time in the kitchen, allowing me to spend more of the holiday relaxing with my husband.

I've prepared beef tenderloin for several Christmases now, but I sometimes long to try something new. Rack of lamb, duck, and goose all tempt me. Someday, we will eat goose on Christmas!

What are the staples of your Christmas meal?

4 comments:

shessolucky said...

We made beef tenderloin too, which I love. Although since we were cooking for six people, we made a sampling of filets -- some rare, some medium rare, some medium, some closer to well done. Was really nice with green beans (prepared with shallots and slivered almonds), classic mashed potatoes, a cranberry pecan salad and some bakery fresh loaves of pumpkin and apple bread. A simple but yummy meal. But Christmas Eve we went out for ethnic food (this year it was Mexican).

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

I am dying to have a reason to try a rack of lamb in my kitchen too. I didn't like it as a kid but I think it's lovely now that I am all grown up.

AMRJ said...

I grew up with cheese fondue on Christmas Eve too -- with cold shrimp and Cesear salad! YUM!

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

Your dinner looks so inviting! My family traditionally does a wide range of appetizers for Christmas Eve and essentially a repeat of Thanksgiving for Christmas day. This year at the in-laws the food wasn't anything to get excited about :(